he Columbus Food & Wine Affair Mission: To provide education and event venues that increase visibility and awareness of the hospitality industry and raise funds for vital charities that help support our regional community.
Highlights of the Industry
This hospitality Industry is a driving force in the state’s economy. The sales generate tremendous tax revenues while providing jobs and building careers for thousands of people. In addition, restaurants give back to their communities and are working to reduce their carbon footprint on the environment.
The National Statistics
- The restaurant industry continues to be one of the nation’s larget private sector employers, employing 12.7 million people
- Restaurant industry sales on a typical day in 2010 total $1.6 billion: $580 billion in a year.
- In 2008, the average household spent $2,689 for food away from home.
- 40 percent of adults agree that purchasing meals from restaurants, take-out and delivery makes them more productive during the day.
- 57 percent of adults say they are likely to make a restaurant choice based on how much a restaurant supports charitable activities in the community.
State of Ohio
- For 2010, Ohio restaurants projected at register $17 billion in sales.
- Every $1 spent in Ohio restaurants generates an additional $1.14 in sales for the state’s economy.
- Every extra $1 million spent in Ohio’s eating and drinking places generates an additional 32.1 jobs in the state.
- 9 out of 10 Central Ohio restaurants take part in charitable activities and charitable giving.
Since the first Columbus Food & Wine Affair in September, 2003, it has been the vision of its founders to support and give back to the Columbus community. While providing maximum benefits to our partners, the Columbus Food & Wine Affair has supported such deserving charities as the Central Ohio Restaurant Association Foundation, the WBNS-10TV Family Fund, the Central Ohio Restaurant Association Education and Scholarship Fund, the Ian Adams Van Heyde Memorial Scholarship Fund, and the Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital.
To date, the Columbus Food & Wine Affair has raised more than $500,000 for participating charities.
Beginning in 2009, all funds were distributed to select charities by the newly established Central Ohio Restaurant Association Foundation, through The Columbus Foundation. This Foundation will guide future distributions to insure both impact and accountability of the funds raised.
The Central Ohio Restaurant Association Foundation Mission:
- The CORA Foundation, through its philanthropic efforts, fosters relationships to help to feed the hungry in central Ohio and provide scholarships to those pursuing a career in the Culinary and Hospitality industry.
GOALS of the Central Ohio Restaurant Association Foundation:
- Establish and build relationships that support the mission of the FoundationRecognize donors of the Foundation in our community for their supportIdentify and increase educational opportunities for those pursuing a career in the Culinary industry
For more information, contact the Central Ohio Restaurant Assocation Foundation, Bob Himes at email@example.com.
For Food & Wine Affair Grand Tasting Event. Click Here.